Opened 2004 at 415 Haywood Road – Moved in 2008 to 444 Haywood Road
Second Gear is Asheville’s answer for affordable outdoor gear and clothing. With a location in the historic Mardis Building on Haywood Road in West Asheville, Second Gear has specialized in selling used gear since 2004. They also regularly receive dealer samples from outdoor gear reps, featuring brands such as Royal Robbins, ExOfficio, Outdoor Research, Marmot, Woolrich, Keen, Vasque and Teva.
Along with consigned gear, Second Gear also carries a selection of new items including guidebooks, regional maps, camping accessories, Innova disc golf equipment, cycling accessories, ENO hammocks and climbing gear.
Second Gear has grown steadily since opening in April 2004. Within that time period 7,000 consignors have sold over hundreds of thousands of items through Second Gear, with a resulting two million dollars in consignment fees paid out to mostly local and regional residents. Second Gear has been located at 444 Haywood Road since May 2008. The building housed Ace Appliance from the early 1970s until late 2008. In July 2014 a historic renovation of the Mardis Building, was completed.
Ferrell W. Harper, clerk, outside Lawrence Grocery Store at 219 Haywood Road. Signs behind Harper are for Ball’s Barber Shop, owned by Enoch G. Ball, located at 225 Haywood Road. Lawrence Grocery operated at this location from 1935-1955.
Street car service on the West Asheville Line was available from May, 1911 to September, 1934. Operated by Asheville Power and Light Co., trolleys crossed the French Broad River over the 1911 concrete West Asheville Bridge. The route traveled along Haywood Road, around Beacham’s Curve, continuing to Jarrett’s Store.
The above image shows a trolley heading up from the river along tracks immediately next to Haywood Road. The photo was likely taken from a horse-drawn carriage traveling downhill, as you can see part of the harness in the lower right of the photo.
“Ed’s” Big Dollar Superette #1, located at 415 Haywood Road, was only open from 1967-1968. “Ed’s” likely referred to Edna C. Cason, proprietress. This location housed many grocery stores over the years including one of three West Asheville locations of the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. [1924-1940], Estes-Starnes Grocery , Metcalf Grocery [1947-1950], and Brown’s Market [1953-1965].
Seller’s Cabinet Shop [1947-1965], with AAA Aluminum Co. and Kirby Co. of Asheville all at 417 Haywood Road, can be seen on the left side of this photo. These businesses were operated by Paul G. Sellers who lived upstairs.